Please read thoroughly and follow each step.
STEP 1: “Substitute Teacher 2020-21 School Year” Application through Applicant Tracking
- This application is required to be completed and updated annually for your name to be placed on the list making you eligible for substitute teacher work.
- Click here to access Applicant Tracking. If you get a blank screen when trying to apply, Applicant Tracking recommends that the applicant clear the cache within their browser then attempt to access the application site again.
- Create a username and password and complete the application for “Job Title: Substitute Teacher 2020-21 School Year.” (Be sure to remember your username and password so you can easily update your personal information and preferences in future years.)
- Attach to this application your official college transcript in PDF format showing bachelor’s degree conferred date, registrar’s signature, key/legend. (see information below regarding transcripts)
- If applicable, attach to this application your valid Ohio teaching license or substitute teaching license issued by the Ohio Department of Education.
STEP 2: Transcripts
- If you are applying for a substitute teacher license for the first time, you will also need to upload your official transcript to your educator account at the Ohio Department of Education.
- All uploaded transcripts should be legible, in PDF format (no JPG) and include the registrar’s signature. When scanning a multi-page transcript, create ONE document file that includes ALL pages (front/back, including key/legend). One PDF document per college transcript.
- NOTE: If needed, our office can scan your official transcript into PDF format for you.
STEP 3: Fingerprinting/Background Check (BCI/FBI)
- A background check is required for ODE licensure and to substitute teach with Stark County Schools.
- Stark County ESC offers fingerprinting services by appointment only for $53. Visit our website, Click here to schedule an appointment.
- If you have had fingerprinting/background check completed within the last 365 days AND electronically sent to ODE for licensure, paper copies of those will be accepted, but we must have a copy.
STEP 4: Teaching/Substitute License issued by Ohio Department of Education (ODE)
- A substitute teaching license is only required if you do not hold a valid standard teaching license issued by the Ohio Department of Education.
- After your Applicant Tracking application is submitted along with transcript, you will receive an email with instructions on applying for a substitute license through ODE.
- For complete information on substitute licensure, please click here to visit the webpage at ODE.
ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
If you need sub assistance AND fingerprinting, we highly suggest that you click on both links to coordinate those appointments.
Click here for Substitute Assistance in completing application process.
Click here for Fingerprinting/Background Check.
AFTER the above four steps are completed and reviewed, you will receive a confirmation email along with substitute management information, a link to review the updated substitute handbook, and instructions to complete payroll forms and sign additional documents online.